Custom Home

Griffix

Pretty nice, but the ground doesn't feel very natural because it is all just one green color. I think the blending needs some work. It feels kind of... flat.

Best Regards,

Silvernova
RuneList Sr. Moderator

On 3/17/2021 at 9:46 PM, Nes said:

What a peacefull area! 😄 

Would be cool if that boat would work as a teleportation device or something 😮 

It does work, it takes you to the second area... Haven't thought of a name for the next place yet, but you need Brundt's Pass to board the ship, a monster drops it in the dungeon on Griffix. Griffix is the home land.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:39 AM, SilverNova said:

Pretty nice, but the ground doesn't feel very natural because it is all just one green color. I think the blending needs some work. It feels kind of... flat.

I have started doing some blending and adjusting some of the heights, because it does look unnatural & a mess, so thank you for the tips homie!

• Positive 1

9 hours ago, Griffix said:

It does work, it takes you to the second area... Haven't thought of a name for the next place yet, but you need Brundt's Pass to board the ship, a monster drops it in the dungeon on Griffix. Griffix is the home land.

That's pretty cool! Keep us up to date 🙂

Awards / Achievements

• 5 weeks later...

Looks nice for a beginner! However, as a map designer myself I'd like to offer some areas of improvement 😉 

1. Paths - Pointed spots or un-naturally curved paths stand out quite a bit. 

2. Height - Height in multiple areas could use some work. Water should always be flat and the same height. 

3. Ground objects - Differentiate your ground objects. There are hundreds of items to choose from so change it up a bit and add a variety of grass, twigs, rocks, etc! 

4. Bridge - Bridges are created on level 1 or greater as this allows you to create a gap between the ground and bridge, looking more natural. Also, your heights on your bridge are uneven. 

5. Island shaping - Islands don't have flat sides or 90 degree angles typically. This is one of the most tedious things and I'll tell ya right now I've spent A LOT of hours doing this. It takes time, but makes a world of a difference. 

One of the big things I do while map designing is refer to existing areas in RS. I study the entire environment and base my techniques around what Jagex did. I think if you do some studying of original RS design you will understand exactly what I mean by all of this. Feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions! 

Personally, I prefer homes being simple, as the custom homes always feel messy and cluttered to me. Good job nonetheless, however, I would take note of the suggestions that Chanston gave to you above. 

Edited by Shaun

Awards / Achievements

• 3 weeks later...

Okay i see you brother! You got some skill lol I love it actually. 
Everything is on point even the minimap. I would say try to create some texture in the grassy areas.
Like a swatch of grass you can place here and there like patches and kinda change the color here and there in some areas. 

Overall it's great very nice work.